In general terms, BA students of Anglistik/Amerikanistik might find answers to many questions related to the structure of the studies, application process etc. on the department’s web site. For further questions, have a look through the Frequently Asked Questions and Answers.

BA Anglistik/Amerikanistik Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

  1. Which other fields of study can be combined with BA Anglistik/Amerikanistik during undergraduate studies?

Economic Sciences, Law, Economic- and Social Geography, Applied Computer Sciences (Multimedia), European History, German Studies, Intercultural German studies, African Languages, Literatures and Art, Arab and Muslim Languages and Cultural Studies, Didactics of German as a Second Foreign Language

  1. How can I attend a course in the Department of Anglistik/Amerikanistik? Do I need to register via Flex Now?

For first-semester Introduction courses, there is no pre-registration. For some seminars, you will find a registration procedure in the course commentary (Kommentiertes Vorlesungsverzeichnis), which is published online by the Faculty ahead of each semester. For language courses (Englisch für Anglisten), the  Language Centre requires a strict online registration process at the beginning of each lecture period.

  1. What is a Pro-seminar? What is a Haupt-seminar? In which semester of my studies am I permitted to attend a Haupt-seminar?

A Pro-Seminar is a lower-level seminar that can be attended from the second semester on (in Literature, already in the first semester if you wish). A Haupt-Seminar is an advanced-level seminar that requires completion of the first part of studies, so that entrance is usually possible from the fourth semester on.

  1. Where can I find course materials?

The sources and materials needed for each lecture or seminar are described in the course commentary (Kommentiertes Vorlesungsverzeichnis), which is published online  by the Faculty ahead of each semester. Requirements for language courses are found in the course commentaries published by the Language Centre. Some sources including books and periodicals may be available in the Central Library, but some may need to be purchased in good time.

  1. When is the right time to apply for a study period abroad?

Usually during the second year of studies. For a study period in the USA and other programs outside the EU Erasmus mobility program, the usual application deadline is about a year before the intended study period. The International Office has advice on this, and on the application requirements. For the Erasmus program, the deadline is normally end of January.

  1. Which requirements do I have to fulfill in order to apply for studies abroad?

That depends on the particular program; see the above. In many cases an English language exam or test score is required, including the Erasmus program. In all cases, above-average achievement records are strongly advisable.

  1. What are the study abroad options? / With which countries/universities does the Department ofAnglistik/Amerikanistik offer exchange program?

The Department’s web site “Studium / Studium im Ausland“ gives a comprehensive overview. The International Office will advise about further universities with which Bayreuth has a bilateral agreement, and about application requirements.

  1. How many seminars should one complete to fulfill the requirements for permission to write a Bachelor thesis?

According to study regulations, there are 9 seminars (Proseminare, Hauptseminare, Wahlpflicht) plus “Fachübergreifende Einheit”. Additionally, there are further course types as well as language courses. You will find an overview in the Appendix 2 of “Prüfungs- und Studienordnung” (BA Anglistik/Amerikanistik Kernfach). You will find a hyperlink from the Department’s web page “Studium”.

  1. When can I start writing a Bachelor thesis? / How long is the official time of writing a Bachelor thesis?

The required time to begin a Bachelor thesis is at the end of the lecture period of the fifth semester. At least two weeks previously, you should agree with your chosen supervisor about the topic and the beginning of the 6-week writing period. It is very important to submit the finished thesis within this period. If you wish to write at a different time, you would have to submit a written application to your chosen supervisor, some weeks before the end of the lecture period of the fifth semester.

  1. How shall I decide for a Bachelor Thesis topic? / Can it be related to the topics of the final oral exam?

The thesis topic should arise from topics you have encountered and thought about during studies. It may be an extension of a topic handled earlier in an essay or paper. In any case, it should be discussed carefully with the chosen supervisor. The oral exam topics should not be identical with the thesis topic.

  1. In which semester may I take my B3 oral exam?

This can take place anytime between the fourth and sixth semester. The usual exam period is within the week preceding and the week following the end of a lecture period.

  1. How should I prepare for a B3 oral exam?

You should suggest two topic areas to your chosen supervisor, some weeks before the exam period, and discuss your preparation with your supervisor. In addition, you should submit a list of 20 works that you have prepared if your chosen area is Literature (see web page Studium, Materialien, Lektürelisten); for Linguistics, you should consult your supervisor.

  1. How is a B3 oral exam structured? / Which topics will be covered in the exam?

This will be explained by your chosen supervisor. The topics will be mainly those you have discussed with your supervisor, as well as the items on your reading list.

  1. How can I keep track of the courses I have attended during my studies?

You should be familiar with Appendix 2 of “Prüfungs- und Studienordnung” (BA Anglistik/Amerikanistik Kernfach) or the Appendix of “Prüfungs- und Studienordnung” (BA Anglistik/Amerikanistik Kombinationsfach). You can then check the courses you are attending against the requirements listed there. In addition, you can find an overview of your courses on CAMPUSOnline

  1. What do I need to do if I want to change my studies within the University of Bayreuth from one faculty to the other or within the same faculty?

You should see Studierendenkanzlei. You will receive forms enabling consultation with the Moderators of your current and your future programs. The Moderators will give you advice about the change, and will sign the form.


Universität Bayreuth -