Taylor, Richard Dean
Professor of English and Comparative Literature
Born: Cambridge, NY, U.S.A., 1935
Married: Hong Kong, B.C.C., 1963
|A.B.||1957: English Literature (With Distinction)
Brown University, Providence, U.S.A.
|M.A.||1964: Victorian and Modern British Literature
The University, Manchester, U.K.
Thesis: 'The Doctrine of the Daimon in the Work of A.E. & W.B. Yeats'
Supervisors: Frank Kermode, R.G. Cox
|Ph.D.||1966: The University, Durham, U.K.
Diss.: 'Frank Pearce Sturm (1879-1942), His Life & Work'
Supervisor Roger Sharrock
|1962-63||English Teacher. American School in Japan, Tokyo|
|1963-65||Lecturer, Fourah Bay College (Durham University), Freetown, Sierra Leone|
|1965-66||Visiting Lecturer, The University, Reading; Berks., U.K.|
|1966-71||Assistant Professor, Dartmouth College, Hanover, U.S.A.|
|1971-76||Reader in English, University of Ife, Ile-Ife, Nigeria|
|1976-79||Professor of Literature in English
1976-77 Head, Department of Literature in English
1977-79 Vice-Dean, Faculty of Arts
|1979-||Professor of English and Comparative Literature, Universität Bayreuth
1979-81 University Committee for Scholarly Research
1979-88 Editorial Board, Komparatistische Hefte
1984-88 University Committee for Teaching and Study
1986-88 Dean, Faculty of Language and Literature, University Senate
Grants and Awards
|1984-88||Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Council) grant covering salaries for two full-time colleagues (women's and children's literature) as well as six extended field trips leading to three separate monographs on Nigerian Literature in English.|
|1988||Donald Gallup Research Fellowship Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, New Haven CT, a preliminary survey of mss conceming Ezra Pound's Cantos.|
|1988||With Professor Hans Walter Gabler, Munich Univ., Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst (German Academic-Exchange Council) grant for a familiarization program in computer-assisted 'critique génétique' at the Institute des Textes et Manuscrits Modernes (ITEM), Paris.|
|1988-89||Overseas Fellowship, Churchill College, Cambridge University, Cambridge, England for the drafting of a book-length study on Nigerian Literature in English.|
|1990-94||Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (German Research Council) grant covering salary for a part-time editor and assistant as well as extended research tours in England and America in pursuit of mss and unpublished letters concerning Ezra Pound's Cantos.|
|1995||Everett Helm Research Fellowship, Lilly Rare Book and Manuscript Library, University of Indiana, Bloomington IN; completion of documentation for Variorum Cantos.|
|1995||Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Fellowship, Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center, University of Texas, Austin TX; completion of documentation for Variorum Cantos.|
African Literature Association
International Association of University Professors of English
International Comparative Literature Association
Modern Languages Association
Society for Textual Scholarship
Research and Projects
- A Variorum Edition of The Cantos of Ezra Pound, a computer-assisted collation of all published texts (including ur-cantos) as well as all identifiable setting-copy and the bilingual editions of both Eva Hesse and Mary de Rachewiltz, sound recordings of Pound's readings, and the poet's personal copies with autograph corrections and other marginalia. Full documentation of authorized readings and editorial emendations have been culled from Pound's correspondence and publishers' archives (1981- ).
- Nigerian Literature in English: National Identity and Ethnic Consciousness. A survey of themes, treatment, and literary techniques, including an assessement of interaction with pre-literate aesthetics and foreign models, carried out within a university-wide special-area project (1984- ).
- A Manuscript Archive of Ezra Pound's Cantos consisting of transcription (with full scholarly apparatus), collation where possible and annotation of all pre-publication materials, in seriatim, with quality reproduction of key documents (1988- ).
- Organizer: Fourteenth International Ezra Pound Conference, Brunnenburg, Dorf Tirol, Italy, 16 - 18 July 1991.
- Organizer: Section II - Nigeria, Anglistentag, Dresden. 29 Sept.-2. Okt. 1996.
- Organizer: Seventeenth International Ezra Pound Conference, Brunnenburg, Dorf Tirol, Italy. 12-15 July 1997.